Friday, July 25, 2008

Wogging, Thanks Heather!

One of my awesome friends, Heather, coined a phrase for me the other day -- Wogging. Ya know, when you walk and jog. You see I am not a runner. The 5K I "ran" was comical at best. As much as I would like to be I have to face hard facts that when I say I am going to jog a mile, it just doesn't happen, let alone 3.2 miles. I always have high hopes to get out there and run the whole thing and when I don't I get discouraged.

Well, for some reason knowing the phrase of wogging helped me to put things into perspective tonight. I knew I was going wogging and not jogging and it felt good to go out there and do it :-) I jogged the straights and walked the circles of the track and I was so focused. I ran good. And I went over a mile and didn't just go the mile and I could have even went for more. When you take it in little pieces like that, things come into perspective and it seems more manageable.

The power of the mind is amazing isn't it.

*as a side note, Dusty and I were laughing at the numerous fast food places and restaurants that surround the track across the street. As you try to take a deep breath and run you can smell over 12 food places and see them directly across the street! It's the closest track to our house but we may have to scout out a new spot...

1 comment:

Robert and Heather in Hawaii said...

Thanks for the tribute :) I feel the same way- saying I'm going wogging gives you power because you know you'll accomplish it. Someday I hope to be a runner, but for now I'm satisfied being a wogger!