Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Latest Addiction....

Ok for those who really know me know some obvious addictions like chocolate, shoes, perfume and shopping in general (especially as of late...sorry Dusty, when you tell a girl that she can have whatever she wants for Christmas you had better mean it!!) Anyway, I have been a book worm since I have been here in Utah. I have read the entire Harry Potter series, some marketing books, 3 or 4 church books and am on my way to finishing the Book of Mormon twice in one year which is amazing for me!!

I really feel the need to share with you a book that could possibly be the most life-changing book I have ever read. (Sorry Paul, I haven't read Love is the Killer App yet.) It is called The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal our Hearts and Homes, by James L. Ferrell. (Deseret Books $16 or Amazon $12 new) It is completely original in style and concept. While reading this book I laughed, cried (a lot) and could see a crisp picture of myself, my trials, the love of my Savior, my husband and his trials etc. But most of all what really makes this book so incredible is the explanation of the atonement.

Since I can remember I have known that the atonement works when you apply it. If I screw up and I truly repent, my sins can be forgiven. I have had a testimony of that for some time. Where I was getting hung up is the HOW part. One of my biggest learning experiences in this book was that I understood more of, not only more of HOW the atonement works for my sins, but HOW the atonement works for sins that others commit against me.

I know that some of you that are reading this have been abused, you have had problems with your spouse, you have had (for whatever reason) low self-esteem, pains inflicted upon you by family members and others for no apparent reason etc. etc. the list could go on forever. This book opened my eyes and literally took me step by step through how the atonement works and how it is sufficient for my sins and the sins that others commit against me. I had to re-evaluate myself and ask myself, "Have I truly forgiven Soandso? I mean, I told them I forgave them, and everything is OK, but maybe I still think about it every now and then and just get really ticked off." Have I truly forgiven?

I read it and could not put it down. My husband is reading it now and when he is done I want to read it again. There is so much to learn and take away from that book, I know I didn't catch everything the first time around! The character in the book is really stubborn and that makes it really good for the reader because in order to appease the character in the book the explanation has to be given several different times in a variety of ways so that you really understand the point that is trying to be made. It also helps to let down your guard and makes you let go of any self-justification you might think you have why somehow this doesn't apply to you because of the magnitude of the sin that was committed against you or the situation in which that sin occurred.

After reading this book I have a better grasp and understanding of the love that my Savior and my Heavenly Father have for all of His children and why we are all worth it! I know more about the atonement and I am better able to love everyone, even those who have seriously offended me. This book strengthened my testimony not only of the atonement, but of Heavenly Father's plan and the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good book! I am going to get it.