Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Decide to Decide!

I think that one of my biggest problems as of late is that I am indecisive. I hate being indecisive. It totally stunts your growth. It is a stumbling block for you and most of the time it doesn't need to be. I wouldn't say that I am paralyzed by fear (as it says below) but I definitely need to work on just making decisions more quickly. My focus lately has been making more decisions in a timely manner. It's still a challenge and I am trying to get over it! Below was an email from Dr. Paul here in Utah and I wanted to share it.

Many people are paralyzed by fear when it comes to making decisions. Look at the similarities between these words:

DECISION

INCISION

EXCISION

You will notice a common root to all three - "cision", which means "cut". An "incision" is a cut "into" something, like in surgery. An "excision" occurs when something is cut "out", like having a nasty mole removed. A "decision" is cutting something "off". Any decision cuts you off from the alternatives, which is why many people fear decisions. This concept is even more powerful when you realize that you are always making decisions. Even when you avoid a decision, that is the same thing as accepting the passive decision, which cuts you off from whatever you could have obtained by making an active decision.


Decide to decide!

No comments: